The best time to harvest crops will depend on the type of crop:
- Grains for drying/storage should be harvested within days after the Full Moon, but avoid days when the moon is in a water sign (Cancer, Scorpio or Pisces). The best signs would be Aries, Gemini, Leo, Sagittarius, Capricorn or Aquarius.
- Plants used for drying or canning should be picked when the Moon is waning in the signs of Aries, Leo or Sagittarius.
- Plants and fruits that need to mature into moist and flavorful products should be picked shortly after the Full Moon in the signs of Cancer, Libra, Scorpio or Pisces.
- Root crops should be dug up after the Full Moon but before the New Moon while the moon is in the signs of Aries, Gemini, Leo, Sagittarius or Aquarius.
- Seed plants that fruit, such as tomatoes, peppers, peas, beans, cucumbers, etc., should be planted after the New Moon until several days before the Full Moon while the moon is in the signs of Cancer, Libra, Scorpio or Pisces.
- Plants that leaf, such as lettuce, spinach, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, etc., should be planted a few days after the New Moon while the moon is in a water sign; Cancer, Scorpio or Pisces. Taurus and Libra can also be considered alternate productive moon signs for these crops.
- Root bound plants such as carrots, potatoes, radishes and onions are most likely to bear well when planted in the 3rd quarter of the waxing moon in the signs of Taurus, Libra or Capricorn.
Treating for pests or weeds is best when the moon is in the 4th quarter, however, it can be initiated during the 3rd quarter as well. The best signs to initiate the activity is Aries, Gemini, Leo, Virgo, Sagittarius or Aquarius.
Mowing grass for specific qualities of the lawn are quite simple. Mowing during the waxing phases of the 1st and 2nd quarters will promote thicker growth while mowing during the waning 3rd and 4th quarters will restrict growth.
Fertilizing when the moon is in a water sign is best; Cancer, Scorpio or Pisces. Engineered fertilizers, also known as chemical fertilizers, should be applied when the moon is waxing (1st & 2nd quarters). Organic (animal) fertilizers should be applied when the moon is waning (3rd & 4th quarters). If you are thinking about starting your own organic compost pile, the best time to proceed with that is when the moon is in the 4th quarter (before the New Moon) and in the sign of Cancer, Scorpio or Pisces.
Moontracks.com has more Daily Activities by the moon updated monthly. If you want to start marking these dates onto your calendars, it is best to know your timezone and find a astrology calendar that corresponds with your timezone. MoonTracks' Astrology Calendar is established for the Pacific Standard Time.
If terms or phrases in this article do not make sense, click on the glossary of terms link in the righthand column under "Pages."